Friday, February 26, 2010

Yesterday's press conference

I was the only PWD to speak, and only three others actually showed up. Two news agencies attended. Two. Clearly, we (the people affected by the budget cuts) are not making enough noise. Either that, or our society just doesn't give a damn. I want to believe the former.

The Hutchinson News -- The story starts on the front page. Thankfully, the online version does not have my picture in the story.

Kansas Free Press -- Story here.

PILR's executive director asked me via email yesterday if I would consider testifying in Topeka later this session. I told her "absolutely."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO proud of you!

::HUGS::
nichan

Sarah Brock said...

This is what I posted at HutchNews.com.

This herd mentality- regarding people with disabilities- just herd 'em all into nursing homes- has got to stop! It doesn't make financial sense, it doesn't make humanitarian sense- its UN-American and NOT COOL. There are MANY people like Dawn that can make SIGNIFICANT and valuable contributions to society if only given the basic resources to do something as simple as going to the bathroom and heating a cup of coffee. What I see is people like Dawn making a difference IN SPITE of the situation. A lot of these gimps in chairs are smarter than the able-bodied, feeble-minded legislators. What would Stephen Hawking say?

Lynlee said...

I have a feeling you can make more noise than average, which is a great skill!

If you need someone to drive Moby to Topeka, you just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Love you.

Dawn Allenbach said...

Nichan -- Thanks. ::hugs back::

Sarah -- You're effing awesome! On Spring Break, you should come up, and let's make some keychains with Hawkings's picture and a string of beads with the letters WWSHD. I'll hand them out in Topeka!

Lynlee -- I just wish I wasn't the only PWD making noise right now. I'll let you know when I'm supposed to go to Topeka. Love you, too.