Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My prepared statement for tomorrow

Statement for Press Conference, 25 February 2010
Prairie Independent Living Resource Center
Hutchinson, Kansas

I've spent several days trying to figure out what I was going to say to you today. You've heard from the staff here at PILR about how these state budget cuts have and will affect the nuts and bolts of running this organization. You've heard from other people with disabilities about how these changes directly affect them. What can I tell you that you haven't heard already? Well, I can tell you one thing which cannot be mentioned enough.

I'm angry. Very, very angry.

Yes, I understand that our country and our state are experiencing some tough economic times. I understand that a lot of state-funded organizations and schools and such are getting less money all across the board. Isn't it interesting, though, that people with disabilities always take one of the biggest hits? We're in the 21st century. Humans are supposed to be more enlightened than they were 20, 50, 100 years ago. So why are people with disabilities still marginalized? Why are we made to feel shameful because the system has been set up to favor us being shut away in a nursing or group home? Why should we have to be dying or abused in order to get assistance with our most basic needs in our own homes? Why must our freedom be so curtailed? The system as it stands is unacceptable, and further cuts will only make everything worse -- for the people needing care, for the people receiving care, and for the people providing care.

There's a sentence that has bearing here. It's probably one of the most famous sentences in the United States. Unfortunately, because of this sentence's notoriety, I think the words are taken for granted. As I read it, please try to remember that we should hold these words as special in our hearts, because when we forget the true spirit of these words, people as individuals and as groups can be treated unfairly and without due respect, and we dishonor the legacy that our founding fathers laid down for us.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

When the state forces us by severe budget cuts into nursing or group homes, it takes away our unalienable rights. Certainly our right to liberty, our right to come and go as we please at any time of day or night, is revoked. Our lives and our happiness are clearly not held in the same regard as people without disabilities. This cannot be allowed and still call ourselves citizens of the United States of America. Kansas, do the right thing, both in an economic sense and in a good citizen sense -- do not cut money further, make better use of your money by allowing us to receive personal attendant care in our homes. Don't marginalize us, liberate us. Let us live our lives and pursue our happiness within our communities. Do not ignore our unalienable rights.

Thank you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL said, hon.

You can do this. You are passionate about this. You are fired up about this. You are ANGRY about this - and RIGHTLY SO! Focus that anger and fire and passion and let the Powers That Be know that you WILL NOT be ignored or marginalized! You, and all the others affected by this IDIOCY, deserve SO MUCH BETTER.

I'll be thinking about you and sending you ALL the good vibes i can manage (and you'd be AMAZED how much this mousey can manage!).

You are amazing, hon. You are phenominal. You are RIGHT!

GO GET 'EM!

::HUGS you tight::
Nichan

Dawn Allenbach said...

Nichan -- I know what my favorite mousey is capable of, and I could never express to you how much your support means to me. Right now, I'm nervous, but it doesn't take much to bring up my Fire on this subject. I'm just going to remind myself on the way to town about all the ridiculous details, details which will be reiterated by staff and other folks at the conference. I just hope my voice holds steady and strong because when I get MAD (like I was in the video), my volume tends to drop and my voice quivers.

Thanks for the encouragement, hon. ::hugs you back::

Lynlee said...

This is great. You will be great. I wish I could be there with you (I will be in spirit!). I love you. Go, fight, win!

Dawn Allenbach said...

Lynlee -- I wish you could be there, too. Right back at ya with the love! Give Paximillian a hug from me.

Sarah Brock said...

Its good Dawn. Its really, really good. I wish there was a way for you to END with the quote, but I understand that you need to explain it to people because obviously, they just don't get it.

Tio Dave said...

You go baby girl and know Tio is with you in prayer, thoughts and deeds. You are passionate and there is eloquence in heart felt resolve. Use the fear and remember There is a time to fight. Love you and believe in you baby..

Dawn Allenbach said...

Sarah -- Thanks. And no, they really don't get it. I could hold an entire press conference myself based just on the things people don't get about this situation.

Dawn Allenbach said...

Uncle Dave -- Thanks for always being one of my biggest fans. Te quiero mucho.