Friday, April 25, 2008

Happy birthday, Paul

Today is my little brother's birthday.

He would have been 31.

He died last November at 30 of respiratory problems due to spinal muscular atrophy.

Our sister (between us) died seven years ago January at 27 for the same reason.

She would have been 35 this coming August.

I'm an only child now, and holidays and birthdays mock me, laughingly remind me that my two strongest allies in fighting this disease are gone.

I've cried four times today. Cried four times for my little brother who lived with nerve pain for years, who took asthma medications and breathing treatments every day, who loved to read Philip K. Dyck and Shakepeare and had a paper of the history of Narnia published in his professor's book (how bittersweet it will be to watch the new film this Summer) and had two poems published, who gave you a nickname to prove he liked you, who could do a perfect imitation of Timmy from South Park (I'm sure he was actually the model for him), who loved to feed Cheezits to my dog.

I miss him so much I think my heart will just shrivel up.

6 comments:

Nate said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. It is people like yourself that give us need to stop, think, and consider our blessings. Blessings & Peace <>< - Nate

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your brother. Thank you for sharing it with us. Peace and hugs to you!

Elizabeth McClung said...

I agree, it is a loving tribute to a person that I would want to get to know. I'm glad that he had such a great sister(s). Thanks for giving me a glimpse of him and what he meant to you.

FridaWrites said...

I'm so sorry, Dawn. **Hugs.**

Anonymous said...

Your brother was loved, and is still loved. Treasure the memory of him, cry when you need to, and know that his remaining sibling is also treasured.Thanks for sharing. Zen hugs!

Dawn Allenbach said...

Nate -- I'm not sure I know what you mean by "people like yourself."

Cheryl -- Thank you.

Beth -- I think you two would've gotten along famously. He definitely would've given you a nickname.

Frida -- Me, too. Thanks for the hugs.

Neil -- I miss him every damn day (my sister, too), and I know I don't cry as often as I should. Thanks for the hugs.