Sunday, February 3, 2008

Who -- or what -- is a Road Hog?

First by way of introducing myself -- the name. "Road Hog" was a nickname given to me by my high school advanced junior English teacher, Ms. Marilyn Darnell. She was the first teacher I ever had who didn't resent me being in her class because I was a disabled student or treat me extra special because I was a disabled student or flat out ignore me because I was a disabled student. She treated me like I had a brain in my head and knew how to use it. She treated me the same as every other smart-assed teenager in her classroom. It was unexpected and refreshing.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I once had a teacher like this... my high school did not want me to enroll in high school algebra, they must have thought I was really really dumb so they had me take basic math my freshman year. It was a joke, an "easy" A! So I took Algebra when I was a sophomore and my teacher "Mr. Hutchinson" was one of the best. He liked to call me Turbo... I do not know why... LOL!

BTW, thanks for the notice of the blog. I look forward to reading more!

Elizabeth McClung said...

Yeah, teachers who accept you as you are tend to be remembered in a good way - the others remember for certain facial expressions they made (or comments) But, but......why exactly did she call you Road Hog?

Dawn Allenbach said...

Michelle -- My high school geometry teacher called me Mario Andretti.

Elizabeth -- Probably because of the way I zipped around other students in the halls to get to my classes. She never really told me where she came up with the name.