Monday, August 9, 2010

Yes, I'm alive

For those who didn't know, I was in a car accident on June 7th in which a 20-year-old failed to pay attention to the large red stop sign in front of him, causing us (my parents, Reba, and myself) to hit him at 50-55 mph. Mom bruised her right hand and knee, Dad had a concussion, Reba's sutures from a surgery that morning tore open, and I broke my right humerus and both femurs and cracked my left tibia and fibula. I underwent a six-hour surgery on June 9th to attach plates and screws to my humerus and right femur and a rod along my left femur. Basically, I now have more hardware in me than a Home Depot.

I was in the hospital for three weeks, then I was transferred to a rehab facility where I still am. I get therapy on my arm five days a week and on my legs six days a week. I'm not healing as quickly as *I* would like, but I am healing. Moby (my van) was totaled, which upset me a lot. She was a good van, and she didn't deserve to go out like that. My folks quickly found me a new ride, though -- a maroon-colored 1993 Ford with a working AC. I have christened her the Red Baron.

Isn't life grand?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have thought about you a lot this summer! I would love to come see you, but finding somebody to watch all 3 of my boys is absolutely impossible and bringing a herd of wild monkeys into a rehab facility is probably illegal! Glad to see you on your blog. I have checked it a few times to see if you were back online! Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!!