Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship

Back in November, you may remember that I applied for a Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship. This award is described on their website as follows:

Awards are made to individuals who, in the judgment of the review panels, have demonstrated superior academic achievement, are committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level, show promise of future achievement as scholars and teachers, and are well prepared to use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.

Hundreds of Ph.D./Sc.D. students apply every year. Only 20 are awarded. I only just learned how astronomical my chances were.

I GOT ONE!!!

*happy dance*

I was awarded support for one year ($21,000), plus I am expected to attend a Ford Foundation leadership meeting. *falls out of wheelchair* I can't believe I got it.

4 comments:

FridaWrites said...

Awesome, yay! This should make you very competitive on the job market too.

Dawn Allenbach said...

FridaWrites -- You're absolutely right. It definitely plumps up the CV!

Elizabeth McClung said...

supercongrats! See, you have a rare and beautiful mind and what you do in research is of great value.

Dawn Allenbach said...

Beth -- I'm just trying to make things a little better. I'm trying to show the ever-present discriminators that physical ability does not have any reflection on mental ability (you'd think Stephen Hawking would have convinced people). Thank you for being one of my biggest supporters.