Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm paying HOW MUCH for this?

The last three days, I've had a care worker come to get me up who I have never had before through the agency I use while in Kansas (yes, I'm still here, hiding from huricanes). This woman used to work in a nursing home and for whatever reason decided she'd rather do home care instead.

Apparently, the reason was not to listen to the person she is helping and argue every little detail.

The first day was frustrating and took a while, but that's normal. Yesterday, after she left, I decided I didn't like her. Today, BEFORE she left I decided I REALLY didn't like her. It all boils down to two things: she doesn't listen to what I'm trying to tell her, and if she can't see it then it must not be true.

My big frustration yesterday involved positioning in my chair. I will be the first to admit that getting me in a position in my chair to where I can function normally (for me) is a royal pain in the ass. I told this lady this on the first day, but I also told her that with a bit of patience, it would happen. Silly me -- I forgot to mention listening to the person being positioned. Bad Dawn -- no cookie. When I asked her to move my left leg, I quite specifically said to please pull on my pants leg on the inside of my thigh. Instead, she first moved my foot (which did nothing for getting my hip comfortable), then she pushed on the outside of my knee joint. My left knee has next to no decent muscle or tendon holding the joint together, so it is very floppy. When you push on the outside part of the joint, my knee moves in but my hip and foot stay where they originally were, putting my knee at an angle it is not supposed to be in short of getting your butt kicked in a Vin Diesel movie. Needless to say, it hurts. That whole task ended with me calling to Mom (she of having JUST had a total knee replacement a mere three weeks ago) to have her get me comfortable.

Today's frustration involved underwear.

A) It is not comfortable to have the waistband of my undies sitting crossways on my anus in general (because they were pulled up on one hip but not yet the other), but it's freaking tear-worthy to have said waistband pulled forcibly across said anus because you're trying to "straighten" the waistband where it sits below the hip rather than pulling it up into proper hip position first. Loud, irritated voice winds up being heard because through the "straightening," I was trying to get her to pull the damned things up first. She kept saying to me, "I can see it's crooked. Just let me finish before I do what you're saying." My response was, "I can feel what this fiction is doing to my anus, so just pull up the underwear."

B) After peeing, when the left side of my underwear gets caught in the elastic band of my pants on the left side and thus come up crooked and giving me a wedgy, STOP FREAKING OBSESSING OVER THE FREAKING ROLLED RIGHT WAISTBAND AND STRAIGHTEN THE FREAKING UNDERWEAR, preferrably after the first time I tell you that's what's wrong.

And do you know she actually had the NERVE to ask me why I was so tense this morning!!!

"Because you won't listen to me!" I practically shouted at her. "I'm trying to make your task easier, but you just keep doing what you want to do."

"But I can see this roll here . . . ."

I surpressed the scream trying to boil out. "That is partly because my underwear is twisted to the left. If you could shift it to the right, it may help."

"I don't understand."

What is so hard about what I said to her, would anyone who's reading this PLEASE explain it to me?

At this point, Mom came in and got me positioned in my chair. Why am I paying $16.50 a hour to an agency when the person they send to help me can't understand "move my underwear to the right" and my recovering-from-surgery mother does the hard work???

Thank goodness my regular worker comes tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I say if you are paying it yourself, hire a nurse and do private pay and skip the agency!

Elizabeth McClung said...

I really sympathize, getting a care giver you have synch with is almost impossible and to have one you don't and who refuses to change when YOU are thier employeer, is beyond frustrating. They TAKE money from you, but act like they are doing YOU the favor for even working for you. So yeah, I hope you get your regular workers soon, or someone who gets that your opinion outweights thier opinion when it comes to your care.